Sunday 15 November 2009

#6 Book Review: The Face of Death

The Face of Death: Cody McFadyen

ISBN 978-0-340-84010-8

This book is the second in the series from McFadyen, featuring the leading character Smoky Barrett.

After reading what I believe to be the first book, Shadow Man (although I could be wrong!!), I could not wait to read the next thrilling installment from McFadyen, and I can confidently say I was not let down. This book is a real page-turner, and for a guy who doesn't like to read too much this really kept me going.

The story centres on a young girl who is discovered by the police in her foster parents house, ready to end her life with a pistol and demanding that she will unless she talks to Smoky. The girl claims her life is being ruined by a mystery 'stranger' and all events leading up to this day have been recorded in her diary.

McFadyen keeps the reader in suspense from then on by switching between Smoky reading the diary and the present events following the opening of the investigation. The continuous back and forth between past and present keeps the reader poised and craving to for Smoky to read more so that she can uncover the truth before it's too late.

Also, unlike the first book, I didn't manage to be able to guess who the murderer is until the very end, which I particularly liked. If you haven't read the first one then the book spends the first few chapters introducing the characters once more, and a brief background.

As usual, McFadyen is incredibly descriptive when it comes to both the murder scenes and the prolongued sex scenes, which when reading this while eating your lunch at work, can prove to be a little intense!!!

All in all, a great sequel to the first book. If you like murder mysteries then you will love this, it keeps you gripped from begginning to end. I now can't wait to read the next book and see if McFadyen can keep it up!

If you have read it, let me know your thoughts too

No comments:

Post a Comment